Remembering 01/15/2013...to the praise of His glory

After we had finally gotten the "positive" on the pregnancy test, we sat down on the couch together to pray and give thanks to the Lord for blessing us with a child in the womb. And I'll never forget how Joseph, my "Ephesians 5" husband, lovingly led me in worship through prayer as he totally surrendered the outcome of the pregnancy to God. He gave thanks to the Lord, but asked that we would be faithful to Him whether we held our baby 9 months later, or not.

One year ago today, Joseph and I received the phone call from my doctor confirming the loss of our first baby in miscarriage. We were crushed. As we grieved, we received so much care and support from our family and our closest friends. It was amazing to see the Lord care for us through so many people who were willing to enter into the pain with us, even when they couldn't understand it.

Throughout everything, the Lord has been faithful. We have such great assurance knowing that ultimately, Christ will receive glory...no matter our circumstances...no matter the pain...

I love the song "Beneath the Waters" by Hillsong. I listened to this song over and over as I grieved...  I found these words so encouraging:


I rise as You are risen/ Declare Your rule and reign/ 
My life confess Your Lordship/ And glorify Your name/ 
Your Word it stands eternal/ Your kingdom knows no end/ 
Your praise goes on forever/ And on and on again

No power can stand against You/ No curse assault Your throne/ 
No one can steal Your glory/ For it is Yours alone/ 
I stand to sing Your praises/ I stand to testify/ 
For I was dead in my sin/ But now I rise!

Another song I've loved singing...listen to it here: Meredith Andrews - Worth It All

In my moment of weakness and heartache, the Lord graciously reminded me that he is worthy of my praise. My sadness, my hurt, my anger, my doubt, my desires can never steal His glory. As a believer in Jesus Christ, I know that this world is affected by sin, and sin brings death. "But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus" (Eph. 2:4-7).

Life is fleeting and passing by, so I will place my hope in what stands eternal, Christ alone. My life's prayer is to glorify Christ, but I often struggle with the desire to glorify myself instead. I find that I must be reminded everyday that in the battle between my glory and Christ's glory, He will ultimately win! So instead of fighting against Him, it's in my best interest to surrender to Him.

On our journey to adopt our Little Thigpen from Ethiopia, I know I will experience some heartache along the way - but Christ will still be worthy of my praise! When we bring our Little Thigpen home, Christ will be worthy of our praise. Whether or not we ever conceive again, Christ will still be worthy of our praise.


What a blessed hope we have in Christ Jesus! 

...to the praise of His glory...

Comments